Blue Collars Worker Subclass 482 Visa

Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482) Short-term stream

With this visa, you can
  • work in Australia for up to 2 for your sponsor or work in Australia for up to 4 years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies
  • study (you won’t receive government assistance)
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid
  • if eligible, apply for permanent residence

For this stream of the visa, you must be sponsored to work in an occupation listed.

Your visa will come with conditions attached to it. To see your conditions refer to your visa grant letter or use VEVO.


The visa costs AUD1,265 for the main applicant and for each dependant 18 years and over.

It costs AUD320 for each dependant under 18 years old.

You will have to pay other costs for English language tests, health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator

The estimator does not take into account the other costs.

How long you can stay

This is a temporary visa. You can stay in Australia for the period of time your employer nominates you for. This will be:

  • up to 2 years in most cases
  • up to 4 years if an ITO applies but the maximum length will depend on the actual ITO relevant to your circumstances
Broadly, an ITO applies if:
  • you are an intra-corporate transferee:
  • you are a citizen/national of China and an intra-corporate transferee, an independent executive or contractual service supplier, or
  • you are an intra-corporate transferee from a Singapore based company and a Singapore citizen/permanent resident, or
  • you are an intra-corporate transferee from a Thailand based company and a Thai citizen/national, or
  • your Thailand based business wants to start a business in Australia:
  • you are a contractual service supplier and you are a Thai citizen/national
Stay longer

If your visa is expiring and you want to stay in Australia to work for your existing employer:

  • your employer will need to submit a new nomination
  • you must apply for a new visa.

Your employer may be able to sponsor you for permanent residence through the:

You might be eligible for other skilled work visas. Use our visa finder to find out options for work.

Include other family members

You can include other family members (called ‘secondary applicants’) in your visa application. The family members you can add will depend on whether you currently hold a subclass 457 or TSS visa.

You have not previously held a subclass 457 or TSS visa

If you have not previously held a subclass 457 or TSS visa, the secondary applicants you can include in your visa application are those who are members of the family unit.

You currently hold a subclass 457 or TSS visa

If you currently hold a subclass 457 or TSS visa and you are applying for a subsequent subclass TSS visa, the secondary applicants who can be included in your application are:

  • one of the members of the family unit, or
  • a person who currently holds a subclass 457 or TSS visa that was granted on the basis that they were a member of the family unit at the time, and is currently one of the following:
    • your spouse or de facto partner
    • your or your spouse’s or de facto partner’s child or step-child who is not engaged, married or in a de facto relationship, and is:
      • younger than 23
      • aged 23 or older and fully or mostly reliant on you or your partner because they cannot work, due to a partial or total physical or mental disability
      • is a dependent child of your or your spouse or de facto partner’s child or step-child

To be granted the visa, secondary applicants must be included in the main applicant’s nomination, or provide written evidence that the sponsor who nominated the main applicant agrees that the secondary applicant can be a secondary sponsored person.

Secondary applicants who apply for the visa must meet our health and character requirements.

You can’t add family members to your visa application after it has been submitted.

If you have submitted your visa application and it is being processed by the Department, family members that were not included in your visa application can lodge a subsequent entrant application.

Alternatively, if we have granted you a visa, family members may apply to join you in Australia later as a subsequent entrant.

Apply from

Usually, you can be in or outside Australia when you apply for this visa, but not in immigration clearance.

However, you must be outside Australia if all the following apply:
  • you have held more than one TSS visa in the Short-term stream
  • you hold a TSS visa in the Short-term stream and you were in Australia when you applied for that visa
  • applying outside Australia is not inconsistent with an ITO
If you are applying in Australia, you must hold:
Processing time

We assess applications on a case-by-case basis, and actual processing times can vary due to individual circumstances including:

  • whether you have lodged a complete application, including all necessary supporting documents
  • how quickly you respond to any requests for additional information
  • how long it takes to perform required checks on the supporting information provided
  • how long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly in relation to health, character, and national security requirements

We might ask for more information. We are not obligated to request further information or documents and can make a decision on the information provided. It is your responsibility to ensure all relevant supporting/evidentiary documentation is attached to your application.

Your obligations

You and your family must meet all visa conditions and obey Australian laws.

You must begin your employment within 90 days of:

  • entering Australia, if you are outside Australia when grant the visa
  • the visa grant date, if you are in Australia when we grant the visa
Be this age

There is no age requirement for this visa.

Have this level of English language

Primary visa applicants must meet certain minimum standards of English language proficiency unless exemptions apply.

Recruitment area:Blue Collar workers occupation list
  • Car mechanic
  • tractor mechanics
  • truck mechanics
  • panel beaters
  • spray painters
  • welders
  • fabricators
  • cooks
  • sheetmetal workers
  • tilers
  • carpenters

For details please visit Express Consultancy or book for an appointment from the website

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/temporary-skill-shortage-482/short-term-stream#About (page source)